Guest Post – My Buddy

Kiene was one of our Middlesex Community College interns last semester and we asked him to share some of his experience with us. It has been great watching him learn more about working kids and learn more about himself. Here is his third guest post.

If you’re interested in signing your child up for Discovery AfterSchool classes, our spring semester registration is open and we have slots available for many of our classes in art, math, and science. Classes start the week of January 26th. Call us today to set up an appointment.

My Buddy

Many great bonds have formed since my start at Green Street. Everyone from the staff to the kids are amazing to work with, but there has been one person in particular that has managed to easily secure a special place in my heart. Her name is Skye and after meeting her for the first time, I knew we would be the best of buds.

In a short amount of time, Skye has managed to make a very big and unexpected impact on me. She was born with Downs Syndrome and possess the rare ability to light up any room that she enters with her contagious energy and spirit. I think that has a lot to do with what initially brought us together.

Being new to Green Street was very nerve wracking at first, but the second I met Skye, that all went away. She was so happy to sit down and introduce herself and started talking up a storm. Before I knew it, I had made a friend in a very unfamiliar place and it helped me a lot with adjusting to my new surroundings. That is not the only thing Skye has helped me with this semester. Before my time at Green Street, I didn’t have much experience working with people who have disabilities and I wasn’t sure that it would be something I could handle. But Skye has shown me that there is absolutely nothing to fear or worry about. This little girl has single-handedly shot down all preconceived notions and stereotypes that I ignorantly came into my internship with, all by just being herself.

I’m not sure if Skye is even aware of the impact she’s had on me, but it is something that I’ll forever be grateful for and cherish. My time with Skye has really gone to show me that life lessons come in all different shapes and sizes and the best ones are usually disguised in the most mysterious ways.

As my time at Green Street slows down, I am saddened to know that my daily routine of meeting Skye at the door with a smile and a hug and personally escorting her to snack time is coming to an end. But I can take great pride in knowing that I was able to connect with her on such a special level and that with each day our bond grows stronger. Even though I still have a long life to live, I’m almost 100% positive that I’ll never have a buddy that is quite as amazing as Skye has been these past couple months. She has a friend in me, forever.